Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Shaylee's Broken Arm

Only half a week before kindergarten starts for the twins and Shaylee goes and breaks her elbow! Poor thing. I forget what the bone is called (supa condular?) but is the end of her upper arm bone where it opens up for the funny bone. She broke it straight through, so she might have to get pins in a week! oh I hope not. because it is in the right spot now they are casting it and then taking another x-ray in a week and making sure it is in the right spot still if it is, she will have to have the cast for another 4 or 5 weeks. 

She is not allowed to play on play equipment or go to PE. She is not even allowed to write (she is right handed and that is what she broke). It will be an interesting start on Monday for school, but luckily our Shaylee is one tuff cookie! She will do great no matter what!

 Shaylee after she got her 1st x-ray (they took another round after she got the cast on to make sure all was sitting well)
We had to wait out in the hall with all these little kids. I think the nurses were beside themselves.

Shaylee with her cast on. It reaches from her shoulder down to her palm. And now we are all happy to be out of the ER! 7 hours, 4 kids, and the craziness of the Texas Childrens Hospital was so tiring! We even missed lunch! But I am so grateful for my healthy kids! This hospital is huge and I was talking to moms whose kids had leukemia and the like and I was happy mine just had a broken arm!
Oh, and how did she break it? Trying to balance on a food storage can (about a foot tall and a foot in circumference) and fell onto carpet! go figure!

2 comments:

Eric said...

Could you tell right away it was broken?

Karl Johnson said...

The arm was a little swollen and a lttle bruised, but I could tell by the way she was acting it was serious. she was super protective and woldn't move from the couch even slept there. The hospital here is like the airport, I wouldn't have gone in if I didn't think it was.